Question: During GTA V gameplay, loading, or while installing the game, I’ve been getting the error “The game was restarted due to a problem with the storage device…” on my Xbox 360. How can I get past these errors?
Answer: Often, this error is caused by a failing storage device or a USB drive that does not meet minimum specs.
- Try clearing the cache for the device: http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-360/settings-and-initial-setup/clear-system-cache
- Re-install: Try deleting the game installation from Xbox Home (Dashboard) and allowing the game to re-install the next time you boot. The game data can be deleted from System Settings->Storage.
- To test if the disc is the issue: To rule out a problem with the discs themselves, try installing to a friend's Xbox 360 and playing on that console using your discs. If your discs work on the other console but not yours, it suggests that the issue is with the storage device or console.
- If installed on a USB drive: Please make sure that the USB drive meets the minimum specs: it must be at least USB 2.0, with a minimum 15mb/s read speed, and formatted for Xbox 360 use. A new USB flash drive is recommended to ensure optimum performance. In the event that your USB drive meets these specifications and is new, please attempt installation onto another USB drive or directly to the Xbox 360 HDD if there is adequate space.
- If installed on the XBOX console hard drive: Please attempt an installation to a USB drive that meets the minimum specs: it must be at least USB 2.0, with a minimum 15mb/s read speed, and formatted for Xbox 360 use. A new USB flash drive is recommended to ensure optimum performance.