Question: Every time I try to use my activation key in Max Payne 3, it says "Error contacting activation server." How can I fix this so that I can activate and play?
Answer: First, perform routine connection troubleshooting steps by making sure Port 443 is open and that your Windows firewall is not interfering with the process. For more information, see: http://support.rockstargames.com/entries/21509312-Ports-to-open-in-the-PC-version-of-Max-Payne-3?locale=1. Also try bypassing your router and connecting directly to the modem using a wired Ethernet connection, or--if you have a combination modem/router box--place it in Bridge Mode.
This problem can also occur if you are using a proxy for your network. There are several possible ways to fix this:
- Change your network settings so you are not using a proxy
- Try using the command line "-scdetectproxy" (For help setting up command lines, see: http://support.rockstargames.com/entries/21498272-Full-list-of-command-line-parameters-for-Max-Payne-3-on-PC?locale=1)
If you are still seeing the activation error message, try rebooting and trying again in a few minutes in case it is a temporary issue with too many requests coming from the same IP address.
Make sure you are running as administrator as well. See: http://support.rockstargames.com/entries/21498292-Needing-Administrator-rights-to-play-Max-Payne-3-on-PC?locale=1
Also try the following, as the problem may be with the local activation on the hard drive rather than a problem with the Social Club activation server. When non-activated, these files will be around 6-7 KB, while an activated file will be 10-11 KB and would have a recently modified date and time.
Note: You may need to show hidden files and folders to view these.
- Delete this file: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\max payne 3\Max Payne 3\MaxPayne3_Steam.ini
- Verify game cache: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=2037-QEUH-3335
- File is stored here. C:\ProgramData\Rockstar Games\Max Payne 3\MaxPayne3_EFIGS.ini
- Try deleting that and then re-installing the game completely
If that does not fix the problem, log into the Support Site and click Subscribe at the top of this page to receive an automatic email when there is an update.. We are looking into a few outstanding cases and will post an update here as soon as there is more information.