Question: I am crashing / freezing in Max Payne 3! Somebody please help!
Answer: Here is what to do if you are crashing or freezing in Max Payne 3:
1. Delete your Max Payne 3 Game Data (not save data) from the PS3 Game Data Utility or clear your 360 cache. This will prompt you to reinstall the game on PS3 and on 360 may resolve any issues caused by damaged cache data.
2. Create a new temporary PS3 user or offline Silver Gamertag to ensure that new save files are created. This tests new save files to determine if there is a problem with save file corruption, an issue that can be caused by turning off the console while the game is saving data. Alternatively, if you have not yet made any game progress delete every Max Payne 3-related file from your console.
3. Reset the console try the game again while offline. If you are on PS3, try playing while signed out of PSN. If you are on 360, try playing while signed out of Xbox Live. This eliminates the possibility of connectivity problems showing themselves as crashes or freezes.
4. Check your disc for scratches, dust, dirt, or other damage. Clean if necessary. If there is a problem with the disc, we are happy to outline our disc replacement policy to make sure that you have access to a copy of the game in new condition.
5. Check other game discs in your PS3/360 to see if issues are occurring in other games, suggesting a potential console problem. If your copies of Max Payne 3 work in a different console, this rules out the possibility that there is an issue with the disc, leaving the console as a strong suspect for the root of the issue.
6. Try your Max Payne 3 disc in a different console or try a different Max Payne 3 disc in your console to determine with certainty whether the issue could be with the disc or console, rather than the software. If Max Payne 3 discs work on other consoles but not yours, this may indicate an issue with your console. Please note that Rockstar games stream frequently from the disc. In cases where console health is low issues may appear first in graphics-intensive games.
7. If your console is overheating, try moving it to a more ventilated area or contacting Sony/Microsoft for further console troubleshooting. Also try unplugging the console for 20-30 minutes and then re-installing the game. Try plugging the console directly into the wall rather than a power strip/surge protector, as well as lowering the temperature of the room or playing with a fan on the console. Ensure that there are no obstructions that could block the console vents and verify that air can circulate freely around the unit.
For hardware-related issues and troubleshooting included safe steps for performing system restores, hard drive maintenance, cleaning, repairs, and replacement, please contact the console manufacturer for further troubleshooting:
Sony PlayStation Support: http://us.playstation.com/support/
Here are some symptoms that may suggest a streaming issue caused by a disc problem or problem caused by a console hardware issue:
Possible Issues that Suggest Disc Damage or Console Problems
- No audio
- Missing menus when you press Pause
- Cut-scenes stuttering or freezing in random locations, but only on that disc or console
- Sound effects playing, but no dialogue audio or dialogue cutting in and out
- Random, non-reproducible crashes and freezes that only happen when using a particular disc or console
- Game locking up all the time in different locations with gameplay stuck on the screen, with no audio and no ability to bring up the guide to return to system software
- Max Payne falling through the floor randomly, plummeting down underground into emptiness and then dying
- Getting to a spot where you know there should be a cutscene, but no cutscene plays and all you can do is walk around the area
- Generic text showing up in Xbox dashboard or PS3 XMB when viewing game icon
- Popping in of objects in high level-of-detail environment or textures, objects being unusually slow to load in
- PS3 beeping and turning itself off
- Being kicked back to the PS3 XMB or Xbox 360 dashboard without warning
- Being unable to install the game to the hard drive on 360 (stalling at the same % each time), or freezing during game data installation on the PS3.
- Freezing during the kill cam
If the issue is still happening and you have ruled out the console as the problem, please click "Submit a Request" at the top of this page and provide as much detail as possible about what PS3/360 model you are playing on and what steps you follow in the game when it crashes. Let us know exactly what you see (e.g. freeze, black screen, return to system software, etc). and what you are doing in the game when the issue occurs.
We at Rockstar Games are committed to providing support to any and all players having difficulties with Max Payne 3 or any of our games. Thanks again for your patience!