1. (Disc version only) Insert the 'Max Payne 3' (Disc 1) into your DVD-ROM drive. If the installer does not start, open your DVD-ROM drive folder and double click on the 'Setup' icon.
2. You will begin installation of Max Payne 3. Please follow the on-screen directions until the the installation process is complete.
3. Other components such as DirectX and Microsoft .NET and Visual C++ software will then be installed if required. Please follow the on-screen directions.
4. (Retail version only) In order to play Max Payne 3 you do not need the DVD in your drive.
5. Click on the 'Max Payne 3' icon to start Max Payne 3. The game will download and install updates if available.
6. You will be asked to create a Social Club account or to sign into an existing account. Rockstar Games Social Club is a members-only destination for leaderboards, stats, tournaments, ongoing special competitions, virtual events, MP3s and more goodies associated with Rockstar titles.
7. You will be prompted to enter your product key to perform a one-time product activation via the internet.
You can find the product key on the back of your manual. Please note that the game includes a release date check, and will not activate until the release date has passed. If you fail to connect, or the process fails, please visit http://support.rockstargames.com/forums/20686362-max-payne-3-pc-technical-support for details. Please keep your game manual as additional activation codes are not available.
Note: Once the game is activated, and a Social Club profile created you do not need an internet connection to play the game. However, without an internet connection certain Social Club features will not be available, and the game will not be able to automatically download and install updates.