Question: Max Payne is crashing on my mobile device! How can I fix this?
Answer: First, check to verify that your device is listed as a supported device:
Unsupported devices may display poor performance or crashing. We are always working to support as many hardware types as possible, and we recommend subscribing to that article for the latest additions to supported devices.
Note that Rockstar Games has not tested on jailbroken phones or custom ROMs, and we are unable to guarantee functionality on modified devices or setups using graphics plug-ins like Chainfire 3D (CF3D).
If your device is supported, here are some troubleshooting steps that may solve crashing issues on Max Payne:
Close Background Applications
Crashing may be caused by playing Max Payne while other applications are running in the background. To fix this:
- iOS: Double-tap the Home button and close all other applications.
- Android: Use an application such as Advanced Task Killer (https://market.android.com/details?id=com.rechild.advancedtaskkiller&hl=en) to minimize the number of processes running in the background while playing Max Payne
- Android: Go to Settings->Apps->Max Payne->Clear Cache and Clear Data. Note that Clear Cache and does not delete your save files and are safe to use. Clear Data may result in irreversible loss of game settings and save files.
Reboot the Device
It may also help to restart the device and run Max Payne from the fresh boot with no other applications running. To reboot the device:
- iOS: Hold down the "Sleep/Awake" button for a few seconds and then slide the off button to confirm the reboot. Let the device sit for around 30 seconds to ensure the shut-down has completed and then hold down the On button to turn the device back on.
- Android: Some phones have their own unique soft boot methods, but the safest bet is to turn the phone off, wait 30 seconds, and then turn it back on.
Hard Reset the Device if Still Crashing After Rebooting
- iOS: If you are still crashing after rebooting the device, try a reset. To do this, hold down both the "Home" button and the "Sleep/Awake" button for 10+ seconds. When the red off button appears, continue to hold down both buttons and do not slide the button.
Free Up Space on the Device
- iOS and Android: Try making some room on your device if it is filled with other applications and data. In particular, this has been reported as a fix for some problems on the Galaxy S II, but may improve performance issues or crash problems on other devices as well.
Redownload the Game
- iOS and Android: To rule out possible data corruption, delete the game from your iOS or Android device and then re-download it from the App Store or Android Market. Be sure that there is enough space for that game and your signal is strong enough to complete the download.
Update the OS/Firmware
Please ensure that you are running the latest OS/Firmware on your phone or tablet.
- iOS: Connect the phone to your computer and launch iTunes. If your OS/firmware is not up to date, you will be prompted to download a new version. Accept the update and follow the on-screen directions. The lowest supported version is 4.3, but we recommend updating to the latest available.
- Android: Press the "Home" button. Then press the "Menu" button (four horizontal lines, the word "Menu," or four small squares), then select "Settings." Select "About Phone." Choose "System Updates" and follow the on-screen directions to install any updates, if necessary. The lowest supported version is 2.2, but we recommend updating to the latest available.
Determine if Other Applications are Causing a Conflict
Occasionally, unforseen conflicts may arise between applications and uninstalling some of them may help to isolate the issue.
- iOS: Try removing all applications from the device and then resynching just Max Payne from iTunes. This will help determine whether other installed applications could be conflicting with the running of Max Payne. If the game does not crash at this point, try re-installing some of the other applications from your iTunes account, a few at a time, to determine what the conflicting software is.
- Android: Go to Settings->Applications->Manage Applications and uninstall other applications that may be interfering with Max Payne. This may be particularly helpful if you are able to see in the error log (directions for recording error logs are in a later section of this article) which other Application could be running in the background, causing a problem.
Restore the Device
If you are definitely using a supported device and one or more of your applications is crashing consistently, try restoring your device.
- iOS: You should not lose any data as long as information is backed up in iTunes. To restore the device, connect it to the computer and open your iTunes account. Click on Summary and then click on Restore. Follow the on-screen directions to restore your device.
- Android: If your device is supported and you are crashing frequently in Max Payne and/or other applications, consider a factory reset. Note that you will lose data and settings. To perform a reset from the Home screen, go to Menu->Settings->SD & Phone Storage->Factory data reset->Confirm.
Check the Crash Log
iOS Error Log: When an application crashes on an iOS device, a crash log is usually created and then synched the next time you connect to your computer. Checking this log can often help to provide clues as to the cause of the crash.
If you are using a Mac:
- <YOUR HOME FOLDER>/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/MobileDevice/<DEVICE NAME>
If you are running Windows XP:
- C:\Documents and Settings\<USERNAME>\Application Data\Apple computer\Logs\CrashReporter\<DEVICE NAME>
If you are running Windows Vista or Windows 7:
- C:\Users\[USERNAME]\AppData\Roaming\Apple computer\Logs\CrashReporter\MobileDevice\<DEVICE NAME>
Android Error Log: On Android, we recommend downloading a free app such as aLogcat (https://market.android.com/details?id=org.jtb.alogcat&hl=en) to monitor any errors or crashes that occur on your device. This is useful not only when submitting tickets to Rockstar for help, but also as a way to determine yourself what processes or conflicts may be causing the problem.
For more information about iOS troubleshooting, please refer to http://www.apple.com/support/.
For more information about Android troubleshooting, please refer to http://www.android.com/.
ANDROID ONLY: If you downloaded Max Payne on an incompatible device: Please click Submit a Request at the top of this page and provide your proof of purchase and Google order number.
Please contact Android Market Support or App Store Support for requests related to account issues:
- Android -- http://support.google.com/androidmarket/bin/request.py?hl=en
- Mac App Store Support -- http://www.apple.com/support/mac/app-store/
If you are still experiencing crashing and you are using a supported device, please log in to this Support Site and click Subscribe in the upper right side of this article. Then you will be automatically notified via email as soon whenever there is new information.