Question: I can't play Max Payne 3 because I can't log in to Social Club to activate the game. It tells me I have to have an Internet Connection on the login screen but I am actively connected to the Internet with my firewall disabled and my ports open. How can I play Max Payne 3 if I can't log in?
Answer: We have received some reports about players seeing a "You are not connected to the Internet" message on the Social Club login screen and we are looking into this now. If you are experiencing this issue, please try the troubleshooting below and also log in to the Support Site and click Subscribe at the top of this page. You will receive an automatic email notification as soon as there is more information.
Other ports to open if still having issues -- may not be needed:
Other potential conflicts to keep in mind:
Norton Internet Security
Tiny Personal Firewall
Internet Connection Sharing aka ICS - provided by Windows 98SE and higher (proxy)
Linksys Routers (hardware firewall)
D-Link Routers (hardware firewall)
Cisco Routers (hardware firewall)
Logitech Gaming Software (reports of Social Club saying you don't have Internet when devices such as wireless headsets and gamepads are connected with this software running)
1. Make sure your router's firmware is upgraded the latest version (very important).
2. Unplug your router for 10 minutes and plug it back in. Some older routers degrade in performance over time until it is rebooted, similar to a PC.
3. Disable any firewall or other network filtering for the game.
4. Enable or disable uPnP (universal plug and play) on your router or the console settings..
5. If you don't care about security, enable DMZ (de-militarized zone) on your router for your PC's address. This turns off all of your router's firewall features for that specific PC.
6. Contact your ISP and ask them what your DNS settings should be.
7. If you have a combination modem/router unit or ADSL, try setting the unit to "Bridge Mode" to bypass the router part of the hardware. If this fixes the issue, then you may be able to connect a second router betwen the combination unit and the console to dial the PPPoE connection.
10. Try flushing your DNS cache in case it has become corrupted.
Click the Microsoft Start logo in the bottom left corner of the screen
Click All Programs
RIGHT-click on Command Prompt
Select Run As Administrator
In the command window type the following and then hit enter: ipconfig /flushdns
You will see the following confirmation:
Windows IP Configuration Successfully flushed the DNS Resolver Cache.
11. Make sure Windows root certificates are up to date. For some versions of Windows, such as XP, this may require downloads from support.microsoft.com. For others, it may be included in regular Windows updates, so we recommend downloading all available Windows updates.