Question: I am crashing / freezing in L.A. Noire! Somebody please help!
Answer: We are sorry to hear you are experiencing crashing or freezing. We have received a few tickets about some isolated crashes / freezes and we are investigating them individually to find out the causes and the resolutions.
Here is what to do if you are crashing or freezing in L.A. Noire:
1. Delete your L.A. Noire Game Data (not save data) from the PS3 Game Data Utility or clear your 360 cache. This will prompt you to reinstall the game on PS3 and on 360 may resolve any issues caused by damaged cache data.
2. Create a new temporary PS3 user or offline Silver Gamertag to ensure that new save files are created. This tests new save files to determine if there is a problem with save file corruption, an issue that can be caused by turning off the console while the game is saving data. Alternatively, if you have not yet made any game progress delete every L.A. Noire-related file from your PS3.
3. Reset the console try the game again while offline. If you are on PS3, try playing while signed out of PSN. If you are on 360, try playing while signed out of Xbox Live. This eliminates the possibility of connectivity problems showing themselves as crashes or freezes. Please take note that on PS3 attempting to access the in-game store will cause the game to freeze because Sony has not yet restored store services.
4. Check your disc for scratches, dust, dirt, or other damage. Clean if necessary. If there is a problem with the disc, we are happy to outline our disc replacement policy to make sure that you have access to a copy of the game in new condition.
5. Check other game discs in your PS3/360 to see if issues are occurring in other games, suggesting a potential console problem. If your copies of L.A. Noire work in a different console, this rules out the possibility that there is an issue with the disc, leaving the console as a strong suspect for the root of the issue.
6. Try your L.A. Noire disc in a different console or try a different L.A. Noire disc in your console to determine with certainty whether the issue could be with the disc or console, rather than the software. If L.A. Noire discs work on other consoles but not yours, this may indicate an issue with your console. Please note that open-world games stream frequently from the disc. In cases where console health is low issues may appear first in open-world games.
7. If your console is overheating, try moving it to a more ventilated area or contacting Sony/Microsoft for further console troubleshooting. Also try unplugging the console for 20-30 minutes and then re-installing the game. Try plugging the console directly into the wall rather than a power strip/surge protector, as well as lowering the temperature of the room or playing with a fan on the console. Ensure that there are no obstructions that could block the console vents and verify that air can circulate freely around the unit.
For hardware-related issues and troubleshooting included safe steps for performing system restores, hard drive maintenance, cleaning, repairs, and replacement, please contact the console manufacturer for further troubleshooting:
If the issue is still happening and you have ruled out the console as the problem, please click "Submit a Request" at the top of this page and provide as much detail as possible about what PS3/360 model you are playing on and what steps you follow in the game when it crashes. Let us know exactly what you see (e.g. freeze, black screen, return to system software, etc). and what you are doing in the game when the issue occurs.
We at Rockstar Games are committed to providing support to any and all players having difficulties with L.A. Noire or any of our games. Thanks again for your patience!